Friday, October 7, 2011

Graduate Relations

My brothers,

I am still emotionally charged from the wonderful time we all had in San Francisco. I had an opportunity to have a mini reunion with some of the Province III brothers during conclave in Chapel Hill, and the willingness to serve is infectious! I am excited about the group of colligiates we have and am looking forward to seeing these brothers as graduate brothers. Thanks for the hospitality Province III.  On behalf of the executive committee I'd like to tell you that we are working hard to represent the needs of the fraternity. As I get ready for Province 1, I'd like to let you know that I am available for all of your fraternal needs. Currently, we have 2 groups appointed to serve you- the Graduate Development Committee and the Graduate Chapter Task Force. If you have any thoughts on how to improve graduate brother involvement or any thoughts on the criteria for the incorporation new graduate chapters in the fraternity, please do not hesitate to contact me at hpmarcelin@gmail.com. Before I sign off, I would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding graduate relations. Collegiates- what is the one thing you wish graduate brothers did more of and what things can we do as brothers to ensure that Kappa Psi is not only for college but it is for LIFE? Graduates- what can we do to make sure we are replacing ourselves when we transition from a collegiate brother to a graduate brother and continue to become active as a graduate brother? Let's blog about it. Well, I am off to Boston! I hope all is well and please let me know how I can be of service! Let's keep in touch.

-PTBYB,
HP

2 comments:

  1. Brother HP,

    From a collegiate perspective, I would like to see promotion of graduate brother involvement in industry-related discussion panels and community service chapter events.

    Taking into account that pharmacy leaders are largely represented by Kappa Psi brothers, the impact graduate brothers can have when meeting with potential rush candidates or current collegiate brothers instills a desire to emulate leadership character and to further strengthen the bond between a graduate and collegiate chapter. With respect to industry-related discussion panels, graduate brothers have an opportunity to share their perspectives on the paths they took to entering the pharmacy profession, and can in turn learn about the particular interests of individuals within the chapter. Collegiate brothers could benefit from awareness of employment opportunities or even shadowing/practicum experiences.

    Additionally, I believe that regardless of the chapter affiliation, both graduate and collegiate brothers share a commitment to the pursuit of high ideals within the community. This could be translated into community service activities where collegiate and graduate brothers can be active participants. Whether the activity serves as a rush or chapter service event, dedication to volunteerism is an essential aspect of brotherhood for life.

    Fraternally,

    Jennifer Bahnmiller
    Epsilon Mu Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother GMAL,
    I have been very lucky to witness graduate brothers personally invest in collegiate brothers. Increasing the direct role a graduate brother can play in a collegiate brothers development could encourage them to pay it forward when they become a graduate brother.

    ReplyDelete